Something I think is an invaluable skill for a makeup artist, and especially as a new freelancer, is self reflection.
After each photoshoot, job, or test I sit down and ask myself a few questions.
- How do I feel the the event went?
- What could I have done better?
- Were there any challenges?
- Was there any direction, application technique or product that caused me trouble?
- Is there something specific I want to improve on?
- What did I learn?
I do the same thing once I receive the images from the event with the addition of a few questions.
- Did the makeup translate on camera how I thought it would?
- How about the colors and intensity?
- Did the makeup work with the lighting appropriately?
- For longer events, did the makeup last as long as it needed to?
- Is the makeup as symmetrical as possible?
- Should I have added more or less product anywhere?
- Did the photographer or client have any specific notes?
Sometimes it can be easy to get caught up in the hustle and environment of a job and not realize until afterwards you could have made better decisions. I find that taking the time to write down the answers to these questions causes me to really analyze the work I have done and be able to learn and grow from every experience I have.
How do you challenge yourself to learn and grow? Let me know down below!
Until next time,